November 5, 2007

Across the Universe

Wow - put this right up there with Moulin Rouge! for me. I think like most Beatles fans, I was nervous about seeing the music put into a story, and even more nervous about how it would sound - could these unknown singers/actors do justice to some of the greatest music ever. You bet! The versions of I Wanna Hold Your Hand and If I Fell (and also I've Just Seen a Face) are now some of my faves - huge kudos to Elliot Goldenthal for doing the impossible: making Beatles music sound even better. The story is surely the most appropriate setting for the music, reflecting part of the dramatic era that spawned the music in the first place. Part of the fun is to spot the Beatles references - characters such as Sadie, Prudence, Jude, Maxwell (who appears at one point with a hammer, of course), Lucy, and Jojo are just the beginning. True to form, Julie Taymor paints the screen with brilliant colours and create a visual delight that draws you in and gives a perfect backdrop (and often foreground) for the music and story. Some of my favourite images: strawberry fields, I Want You, the bowling scene, the grey beach in the opening scene. Overall, a wonderful visual and musical spectacle that I really enjoyed and highly recommend. Definately some Oscar potential here in the visual categories (editing, cinematography, art direction and visual effects) and sound, and possibly Julie Taymor for directing although that will really depend on what else emerges as strong here. The ensemble would be a good bet for a SAG.

- ROBYN

I was pretty wowed by this film! It was a surprise and delight that the songs were interpretted and arranged with such imagination (and success). Robyn and I both bought the soundtrack within a week of seeing the film and have really enjoyed it (though different songs). For me, there were weak points in the film (Mr. Kite, and Bono) and a bit of weakness in the soundtrack (quite a few tracks are similar with slowed-down tempo and a-capella intros). But numerous instances of visual imagery were stunning and have stayed with me long after seeing the film - I Wanna Hold Your Hand, I've Just Seen a Face, and I Want You.... it was art, and perfectly done. And the song performances are energetic, soulful and moving (All My Lovin', Hold Me Tight, It Won't Be Long, etc)
I've been telling people to see this film, recommending it wholeheartedly. If they like Beatles music, assuring them not to worry about the songs being butchered.
Really, this film is a triumph.

- JODI

No comments: